15 June 2010

Huckleberries and hydrochloric acid..

Not to be confused with the magazine, country living is now my lifestyle and I LOVE it.  I am fascinated by the fact that the sounds of sirens, bass, kids screaming, and car horns have been replaced by crickets, hawks, owls, and the occasional raccoon.  Its everything I loved about living in my parents house, which is way more in the country than this one, with the convenience of town being 8 minutes away. 

Originally, we were going to take our time moving in over this week, but Saturday came and my parents were motivating us to just get it done in one day.  Tanner whipped up a nice batch of cream cheese huckleberry pancakes to get us going...



So the recipe for those pancakes?  It's really hard...ready?

Make pancake batter according to Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Bag...

(Usually just the batter and water, SO simple and good...)

Take about 3 or 4 handfuls of huckleberries (depending on what you like) and throw them in

Spoon 2 tablespoons of cream cheese in..

A couple sprinkles of garlic powder (trust me, its good)

Fry them up.

Eat.

Eat more.

Cry about how full you are while cramming another one in your mouth.




After we didn't feel so comatose anymore, the moving began.  I don't really know whether I blacked out, or if it was just the thought of moving in to the farmhouse that lit my fire, but we got that stuff done SO fast!

Funny story here though...

Have you ever used this?



It works great for cleaning the toilet bowl!  It also works amazingly well for cleaning soap scum and hard water stains off of a shower door!

Unfortunately not so good for your skin.

I decided it would be wise to clean the shower doors before we moved, so I didn't have to worry about it later. 

I stepped in to the shower, and for the next 15 minutes, cleaned the shower doors barefoot.
...

Tanner happened to look at the label after realizing our house smelled like a clean toilet bowl and read something like this:

"In case of contact with skin, immediately flush the area with soap and water for at least 15-20 minutes and immediately call your local poison control center"

Um, what? 

I've been cleaning for at least 15 - 20 minutes while STANDING in the cleaner...

You'd think my reaction would be something like "OHMYGOSHIDON'TWANTTODIE!CUTOFMYFEET!CUTOFFMYFEET!"

But instead, I replied with "I'm ALMOST done, I just have a little bit left."

Um, what?

About 5 minutes later the realization of the label set in, and I calmly stepped out of the shower and in a quiet voice said, "so I should probably call poison control..."

Then it was an all out sprint for the phone...my mind wandered with each ring.

I really like my legs, I mean, I don't know if I could do prosthetics.  I guess I don't have to worry about sunburns...  Oh, great, and it touched my hands! Which touched my phone!  Which TOUCHED MY EARS! I can't handle hooks for hands!  Although it would be GREAT for distressing furniture....

"Hello, poison control, how can I help you?"

"I DON'T WANT TO HAVE HOOKS FOR HANDS!  SHOULD I CUT MY LEGS OFF AT THE KNEE? DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE FULL PROSTHETICS THAN JUST HALF LEGS?  WHAT IS YOUR NAME AGAIN?  I WANT TO PUT IT IN MY EULOGY..."

"Calm down, ma'am. What happened?"

"My ENTIRE BODY IS BURNING BECAUSE OF THE INGREDIENTS IN SOME TOILET BOWL CLEANER I USED TO CLEAN MY SHOWER WITH BAREFOOT!  I'M PRETTY SURE ITS MADE OUT OF NUCLEAR MATERIALS, SNAKE VENOM, EYE OF NEWT...HELP!!!!"

"Can you describe it to me?"

"UHH..........PURE EVIL IN A BOTTLE?"



Anyway, long story short...the active ingredient is hydrochloric acid. I washed my feet and hands for 15 - 20 minutes, promised poison control I would read labels, and not clean my shower with something that belongs in the toilet from now on.  She was not very happy with me.. 

However, I'm very happy to have beautifully sparkling clean shower doors.  And my legs.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, first of all I am glad you have all your 'limbs'!! When I first started reading I was like, oh man I have some of that I should use it on the tub and then I continued to read...and had to smile at your attitude...you are cute! I would've been in a panic! LOL
I cannot wait to see what the new place looks like when you get settled...post pictures for us to live vicariously through you!!!
blessings-

Unknown said...

We have a secret huckleberry patch we pick in season. It's up Blacktail Mountain. I will be makin those pancakes for sure!
I'm glad you survived cleaning. I hope you learn a lesson here, too much cleaning! I'm sure it needed to be done so no more.
Happy Farm to you!

Michelle Hughes said...

okay, so sorry that you had a problem with evil in a bottle, but this is literally the funniest thing that I have read all week... possibly all month. So, thank you my dear :)
Have fun farm living!

Jenny said...

What a great post! The pancakes made me drool with hunger...the cleaning story made me drool with laughter. Definitely a great post!

bullie_mama said...

I want to see pics of the cute new farmhouse! Oh, btw, glad to hear you won't have hooks for hands. ;-)
That's why I only use all natural products in my home - don't really want peg legs or hooks for hands. HA HA!

farmlady said...

Thanks for the heads up on the cleaner. Getting old is bad enough without "pure evil in a bottle".

Oh, and....Garlic powder? Are you sure? In pancakes?

The Gypsy Magpie said...

Oh my gosh- you had me rolling on the floor with this post! I, too, was thinking... hmmm, I oughta try that toilet bowl cleaner on my shower doors too... until I got halfway down. Good thing you told it all in one post and not continued the following day. No telling how many of us 'lemmings' out in blogland woulda been calling the same Poison Control!

rustic living room furniture said...

I just love your blog and I think your article is so awesome!! I love antiques and what a way to go green!! I think the towels would just be so adorable also. Thanks for sharing the story about how it was made. Makes it that more special! Take care, Fran.

Susan Graham

Shower Doors said...

Really the awesome article. The blog is totally outrageous. I am just loving your ideas. Thanks

Frameless Shower Door said...

Frameless Shower door enclosures are the latest bathroom remodeling trend. check it out!